40 min. to prepare. Serves 2 hungry folks.
- 1 handful of Jasmine or Basmadi rice
- 1 sm. can small red beans or kidney beans, rinsed thoroughly under running water (reduces salt)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs with excess fat removed, cut into 1/2 in. chunks
- 1/4 tsp. ea. red, black, white pepper — vary to taste
- 2 tsp. sage, 1/2 tsp. thyme
- Garlic powder and chili powder to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
Put all of the ingredients except the rice and beans in a 2 qt. saucepan. Cover with water. Cover pot. Bring to a boil and boil the heck out of it for 10 minutes. (Boiling chicken does not make it tough, as long as you boil it long enough, in small pieces.)
After 10 minutes, add the beans and 1-1/2 cups of water. Bring back to boil.
Add the rice and simmer for 20 minutes.
Note: this will not be salty enough. Add salt or Tony Chachere’s Cajun Seasoning to taste, remembering your doctor’s recommendations.